Artificial intelligence (AI) is the intelligence displayed by machines rather than living organisms. Machine learning is a subpart of AI that enables the program to identify patterns and apply them in problem-solving. AI and machines together play an important part in cyber security. AI can predict and fend off cyberattacks much more accurately than humans. Since it is a machine, it processes and programmed information helps to detect cybercrimes in a faster and non-corrupted manner. It can also free employees to focus on other, more complex tasks.
Machine Learning is said to be impressively effective against malware and bugs. It can scan the massive database of existing malicious software and block an attack if a new, modified version of it surfaces.
Cyber safety is of utmost importance as, recently, cyber-attacks have been increasing in frequency and scale. There has been a high jump in the attack rate since the pandemic’s start. Many people are becoming victims of cyberattacks. The age group most affected and targeted is teens and adolescents. Due to lack of knowledge and experience, children and students end up in tough situations where they get forced to take wrong steps, as they cannot face it.
TYPES OF CYBER THREATS TO STUDENTS
Some cyberattacks faced by students are:
- Data theft
- Cyber Bullying
- Scholarship scams
- Fake payment processors
- File sharing risks
- Ransomware attack
- Eavesdropping attack
- Man in the middle
SOME COMMON CYBER THREATS
The rate of phishing attacks is most common, and it ranks among the top cyber threats. Phishing is a fraudulent incoming message or text that looks like it was sent by a bank, online store, educational institution, etc. These texts or messages contain a link or attachment attached to the fraud or inappropriate site that might be involved in payment scams or sending personal information to the scammer. Social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc., are common places for these scams.
AI helps to fight phishing
- AUTOMATED DETECTION
AI helps in setting up signature-based detection. It processes and analyzes attack patterns and detects ongoing or incoming attacks. Machine learning helps to improvise AI detection. For example, AI scans for malicious links and other viruses. If a hacker plans to send a mail with the phished link, then AI will automatically detect the email and block it on-spot.
- BEHAVIOURAL ANALYSIS
AI helps observe our communication patterns and establishes normal user behaviour. It makes it easier to detect hackers if they send malicious emails and messages.
- CONTINUOUS LEARNING
Phishing attackers have evolved, finding new codes or ways to attack. Cyber security technologies also changed and evolved according to the attacks to protect the public and students from these threats. AI learning is a continuous manner for open sources threat intelligence feeds. They gradually update and improve their abilities. AI continuously learns and updates codes and machines to detect the latest threats based on phishing.
- Cyber Bullying
Cyberbullying or harassment refers to sending messages or text on platforms that contain threatening nature or teasing, mocking to a certain level that exaggerates or extends to a stage that they hurts students’ mental and emotional health. This attack has worsened among students. Many students have been victims of it. Although some students have overcome the effects, some stay in depression and develop fear, while some situations lead to suicide.
Cyberbullying takes place usually over digital devices like smartphones, computers, tablets, etc. It includes sending or sharing negative, harmful, false, or mean content about someone else. It also involves sharing negative, harmful, false, or mean content about a person’s enemy or someone else.
- AI and Machine learning provide security to prevent cyberbullying.
- Machine learning algorithms can already identify suicidal tendencies with high accuracy based on “neural representation of emotions.”
- If a machine can understand human emotions based on voice or facial recognition, it will mean a tremendous leap forward for the use of AI in suicide prevention.
- Algorithms have parental control software and keyword-spotting blockers. They recognize subtle and sarcastic comments.
- This algorithm determines the bully, victim, and bystanders in different situations.
- Data theft
- AI applications are created to safeguard data by creating a protection mechanism so that no one can take advantage of unauthorized access.
- In real-time, AI helps in confronting issues. There is a medium for tracking down suspicious activities.
- AI can add an extra layer of security to your account, something which is way stronger than a PIN or a passcode.
- AI and machine learning’s composition performs a perfect job to prevent data breaches.
- Usage of AI and machine learning algorithms, a layer of security can be added to accounts.
- AI applications can verify and authenticate identity to ensure it is not forged by any third-party user.
CYBER SECURITY TECHNIQUES FOR STUDENTS
- numbers, and alphabets.
- Protect your social media accounts by making their private accounts.
- Avoid public WiFi connections
- Keep on updating your apps and operating systems
- Use websites and apps that encrypt data
- Try using different passwords for different platforms.
- Have a recovery plan
- Be vigilant regarding phishing scams
Cyber-attacks have been a problem for a long time, requiring some solutions and methods to protect. Cyber security develops and regularly improves to provide a safe platform to all. Teens and adolescents require knowledge about these attacks and how to react and behave towards them. There are various types of cyberattacks, but AI provides ways and techniques to protect and secure from these attacks. Students should be more careful in these times of pandemics as all platforms have shifted to online. So, AI is really helpful in students’ cyber safety.